by Loren Hollers of Soldotna, Winner 2008 Fish Alaska Reader Recipe Contest
- 2 cups Macadamia nuts
- 1 cups Panko Oriental breadcrumbs and cracked peppercorns
- skinned halibut fillets, 1-inch thick
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
Mango and Peach Chipotle Salsa
- 1 whole mango
- 1 whole peach
- 1 small sweet onion or 1 cup green onions with tops
- 1 whole red pepper, seeds removed
- 1 whole yellow pepper, no seeds
- Jalapeño peppers to taste, seeded
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 whole lime
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coarsely chop macadamia nuts. If using food processor, be careful not to make “butter.” Stir in breadcrumbs and cracked peppercorns to taste. Set aside in large bowl. Drain and pat dry halibut with paper towel.
Roll fillets in salt and peppered flour. Dip in egg wash (6 eggs mixed with 1/4 cup water), will be very sticky. Roll floured and egg-washed fillets one at a time in Macadamia/Panko coating. Actually “pack” the coating onto the sticky fillets. Shake off excess. Put coated fillets into 1-inch deep hot oil (350º to 400ºF). Fry only 1 minute on each side to a nice crispy golden brown and place on lightly greased cookie sheet or baking dish.
After fillets are fried, place in oven for exactly 10 minutes. Fillets will be crusty and very moist. Remove immediately and serve with mango or peach slices and a side of the Mango and Peach Chipotle Salsa.